The Northern Territory covers about one sixth of the Australian continent with an area of 1.35 million km2 which is equal to the combined areas of France, Spain and Italy.
Darwin was originally called Palmerston, the town was renamed (1911) for Charles Darwin because its site had been a stop (1839) during a voyage of Darwin's ship, the Beagle.
On 19 February 1942, during the Pacific War, 188 Japanese warplanes attacked Darwin in two waves. It was the same fleet that had bombed Pearl Harbor, though a considerably larger number of bombs were dropped on Darwin, than on Pearl Harbor. The attack killed at least 243 people and caused immense damage to the town.
21.6% of the Darwin's population was born overseas.
Many Aboriginal cultures in Australia recognise seasons that are different from the usual summer, autumn, winter and spring. Some Aboriginal cultures have only two separate seasons, while others have as many as six.
In central Australia, people living in the Walabunna region say there are two seasons. One season is Yurluurrp, which lasts from April to September. During Yurluurrp, the weather is cool and dry. The other season is Wantangka, which lasts from October to March. During this season, the weather is hot and humid. The rains come during this time and bushfires are common.
For the Bininj and Mungguy people in the Kakadu region in northern Australia, there are six seasons (also known as Kakadu Seasons).
Gunumeleng (mid-October to late December) - Pre-Monsoon Storm Season
Gudjewg (January to March) - Monsoon Season
Banggerreng (April) - Knock 'em down storm Season
Yegge (May to mid-June) - Cooler but still humid Season
Wurrgeng (mid-June to mid-August) - Cold Weather Season
Gurrung (mid-August to mid-October) - Hot Dry Weather
East Arm Island lies within Darwin's port and is home to a gas refinery. But until the '70s, it was a leper colony. The Channel Islands housed a leper colony run by nuns until 1955. There is now a power substation in that area. Mud Island, (near Wickham Point) Darwin harbour, is another place that housed a Leper Station